Life Is Just So Daily

Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Surgery!? & 20 week update!

Houston, we have a problem!





Gage has always had one tonsil that has been larger than the other... but, lately we've had a big problem with that bigger than normal tonsil. So, 12/21, he was diagnosed with strep. Awesome. First day of Winter Break and he gets strep. Poor guy.

Then, he goes back to school for 2 days after Winter Break. At the end of the 2nd day, he comes home with almost no voice. Awesome. Laryngitis, most likely viral.

For the past 1.5-2 weeks, he's been snoring like a freight train. We even tried breath-right strips....

He's been getting food caught on his big tonsil, and then he chokes and gags and spits. Lots of fun, especially in the movie theater when a piece of popcorn gets stuck and he panics, then I panic, and we rush out.... well, you get the point.

ENT appointment today....


Someone was NOT happy. He was certainly NOT happy to hear that the tonsils have to come out....and possibly his adenoids too. His tonsils are both larger than normal, but one of them is "HUUUUGE." It has now crossed the midline of his throat opening, and is considered a partial obstruction. It's interfering with his eating and sleeping, and they must be removed.
:(
So, my baby's first surgery ever is scheduled for 1/23. Poor buddy....
....and he was trying for the perfect attendance award this year at school too. So much for that.

What made it better? The fact that we were close to:
Clearly, we had to stop. In the rain.
{After all, our itty-bitty-town doesn't have one of these stores, and Gage is such a neglected child that he rarely gets to visit one....}




I was quite surprised to see THIS for sale at Toys R Us:
But hey, maybe my perception of their target audience is off. What do I know?

What else is new?
I'm 20 weeks pregnant as of today.

The belly at 20 weeks:
How far along? 20 weeks today.

Size of Baby: According to babycenter.com, Baby girl is about 10 inches from head to heel, and about 10.5 ounces!

Maternity Clothes: Yes.

Gender: Team Pink!

Belly Button In/Out: In.

Movement: Yes! Baby girl is still breech. She was confirmed complete breech at our anatomy scan before Christmas, and she's still in the same position. How do I know? Because it feels sometimes like she is trying to kick her way out through my cervix! Her round little head is between the bottom of my rib cage on my left side, and my belly button. Her little feet are down low.
Picture of complete breech presentation so you can picture it:
She has plenty of time to turn before birth, but given my history of c-section and being a very poor candidate for vbac, I don't guess it matters if she turns or not. The safest plan for delivery is repeat c-section. Having her in the breech position just feels very different than I remember the kicks and movement feelings from when I was this far along with Gage.

Sleep: Hit or miss. I sleep so much better on the couch than in the bed because I can be on my side with the back of the couch up against my back.

Cravings/Aversions: Ummm....

{Yes, those are dill slices on Tostito chips. When I ran out of dill slices, I just dipped the chips in the dill juice....and then I drank the juice until I just about made myself sick. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME!?}

What I am Looking Forward To: Ordering the nursery furniture. Having the nursery furniture arrive. Setting up the nursery. Oh, so many things to look forward to!

Baby Milestones: Baby is " swallowing more these days, which is good practice for her digestive system. She's also producing meconium, a black, sticky by-product of digestion. This gooey substance will accumulate in her bowels, and you'll see it in the first soiled diaper (some babies pass meconium in the womb or during delivery)." From babycenter.com, also.
Oh, yum! Meconium!!!!

Next Appointment: at 21 weeks.

It's so hard to believe that this pregnancy is already over the half-way mark. The plan is to have a c-section at 39 weeks, so I'm more than half-way there. That's so bitter sweet for me. I'm so very grateful for this pregnancy, and believe it to be my last. I've tried to enjoy it every day, even in the not-so-glamourous moments. While I can't wait for her to be here, I am sooooo enjoying having her tucked away safely inside of me.
....so anyway....that's how I'm feeling. Eager to set up the nursery and hunt & gather baby goods, all the while STAYING pregnant!








Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At 1:47 PM , Blogger Hester 5 said...

Enjoy it!!! I miss it so much but so glad I will never do it again! :)

 
At 5:13 PM , Blogger Shoeaddict said...

D was like that too at about this time. It was like "WHOA" for me when she flipped.

YAY!!!!! I love your belly.

 
At 7:41 PM , Blogger Pregnantly Plump said...

Little Elvis' best friend had that tonsil surgery last year. He snored and had the eating problems, too. He was scared before, too. But his sleeping is better now.
And I always liked the midway part of the pregnancy. It's the best part.
For the last pregnancy, I wanted jars and jars of green olives with pimentos.

 
At 10:53 AM , Blogger Mighty Morphin' Mama said...

Aw, poor Gage and poor Mama. What a blessing it will be when it is over though.
And so excited about your lovely, pink baby bump! You guys are in my thoughts and prayers!

 
At 10:34 AM , Blogger Lindsey said...

Poor little guy! He'll feel so much better after his surgery. I had mine out when I was five.

Congrats on the halfway mark!. My little girl is breach right now but I'm hoping she will turn soon.

 
At 7:06 AM , Blogger Aubs said...

oh poor buddy! =( But i'm glad that he is going to be able to get some relief which means mama can too! =) will be praying that the surgery goes well & recovery is quicker and easier than you could ever expect!

and 1/2 way?! holy moly it seems to be going by fast! (atleast to me!)

 
At 10:33 AM , Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog, I'm your newest follower. Haha, the Tostitos and pickles...mmmm. My little guy is currently breech also and I hope with all I have he turns around in time. Sending good vibes that your son's surgery goes well and will be behind him soon.

 
At 9:48 AM , Blogger Megan said...

Oh those pictures of Gage in the chair hugging his stuffed animal are so sweet and heartbreaking! Poor buddy!

The pickle slice thing cracks me up because I remember you always getting those gigantic dill pickles from the jar at the movies when we were younger. Baby girl is going to be the same way!

 
At 4:34 PM , Anonymous misguided mommy said...

I need to mail you a bag of the Dill Pickle Lays. They are life altering

 
At 8:15 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Everything is very open and very clear explanation of issues. was truly information. Your

website is very useful. Thanks for sharing.
Funding Sources for Small Business,

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home