Life Is Just So Daily

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Picnic fun....

So, I tried to do this whole "suburban life" thing... Gage & I were stoked to load up the wagon with a picnic basket & blanket. We were all going to walk down to the playground, which we'd just passed when driving into the neighborhood. It was hopping with families. So, as soon as Daddy got home---that's what we all did.

Um---newsflash: 6pm is apparently dinner time for anyone & everyone out in suburbia, and NOBODY was at the park. And apparently pizza was the dinner of choice for most of the people around us, b/c I couldn't count the # of times we saw pizza delivery cars drive by. {which, is actually promising b/c I didn't even think we could GET pizza delivered all the way out here...}

Anyway....we had a good time, but I'm still going to have to get the hang of this whole "suburbia" thing.

Oh---and speaking of suburbia/"the sticks"....neighbors??? What's up with all the neighbors? We've only met the people next door, and really I've only met the husband part of that duo. I've seen the wife part, but she's never said anything to me. We just wave. Everyone else: I see their cars come & go. I see the garage doors go up, they park, and the door is closed before I ever see anyone get out. Where in the world is the "Bree" of this Wisteria Lane? Where's our "welcome to the neighborhood, neighbor!"????

I know---I'm being incredibly presumptuous to think that anyone should welcome us to the neighborhood or give us a basket of muffins or something. That's soooooooo not want I'm trying to portray....I'm just saying---isn't it better that they come to us & say "hi" & introduce themselves, or should I just go & introduce us? I don't know!

when Tera & Nathan moved in across from us---we went over there. We said, "hey, here's this young couple that's moved in by us, let's go say 'hi'." WE did the welcoming, and WE did the introducing.

On the flip side: Hubby took Gage for a bike ride one day, and got to talking with this mom in our neighborhood (down the way, and around the corner). Mom of 3. ...chat, chat, chat.... turns out, she knows me! Says that we went to school together, told Hubby to tell me "hi."
Guess what????
Hubby can't remember her name. He's come up with a few variations with some of the same consonant sounds---but he's not really sure WHAT her name is.
Here's what I have to go on: "She's blonde, has 3 kids, and I think her husband's name is Nick."
I think I may have it figured out---but, what if I'm wrong.
Do I just stop by her house to see if I'm right? Really---this person was always a very nice person, and I would be delighted if it's her! But, what if it's not. What if the person answers the door, and I don't have a clue who it is??? Or what if it's someone that I didn't particularly care for in the past???

Oh, the drama.

So, I'm done with my ranting for today.
I'll leave you with these picnic pics (although none of them actually reflect that we sat & had a picnic, but I promise---we did).


Labels:

13 Comments:

At 9:31 AM , Blogger LauraC said...

Give it time on the Bree thing. When we moved to our house, our neighborhood Bree stopped by with a strawberry tart and when I opened the door, she saw my very pregnant twin belly and sent out the Bree Alarm because we got to meet everyone then.

Loving all your posts, not enough time to comment. You are one hilarious chick!

 
At 9:35 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

See its the total opposite in NYC...if some friendly neighbor came to my door to welcome me to the building I'd be put off. Seriously it weird.

To say hello in the hallway or lobby...totally cool.

 
At 10:51 AM , Blogger mpotter said...

wow! lotsa fun goings-on. i've been so behind.
but i'm glad to see you've left one house for another and it seems to be going well-ish.

we've lived here for 7 years, and we don't know many people in the n'hood, either. we live in a cul-de-sac, and only say "hi" in the yard to both of our neighbors. in fact, the one neighbor we're guessing just spent like a year overseas, and we had no idea he's even in the military.

i have pretty much one n'hood friend, that when i met her 4 years ago, she asked if we just moved in. she was embarrassed to know we'd been there for 3 years.

good luck to you. i always wanted a good neighborhood too. oh well...

 
At 11:15 AM , Blogger Lainey-Paney said...

....we just moved from a place where we knew all of our neighbors! (well, most of them....) and it was HARD saying good-bye.
I'm hoping that around here---it's not hard to say "hi", ya know?

 
At 12:45 PM , Blogger Pregnantly Plump said...

Maybe they're waiting for it to warm up? We moved in in early October. A weird lady from across the street invited herself and wanted to hold a sleeping Baby Plum. In early December I made coolies for immediate neighbors, and one was on her way to our house with a HUGE welcome basket. Now that it's warmer, we're meeting the neighbors behind us. I think it'll just take time. Maybe they want to give you time to settle in?

 
At 1:20 PM , Blogger Beth said...

Go knock on the door – if you’ve got the wrong house, you could end up meeting a friendly person who also happens to know the person you’re looking for!
A two-fer.
Great excuse to meet some neighbours.

(But, yeah, I’d be wondering what kind of neighbourhood I was in if no one came knocking at the door to welcome me!)

 
At 2:24 PM , Blogger Zephra said...

That is exactly how I feel in this neighborhood.

 
At 6:16 PM , Blogger Shoeaddict said...

I feel the same way about our neighborhood. I don't know anyone but the nest door neighbor and the little boy across the street. I was always so jealous of you and your neighbor friends.

 
At 6:17 PM , Blogger Shoeaddict said...

OH! And didn't you know- it's pizza night in suburbia! DUH ;)

 
At 7:19 PM , Blogger kim-d said...

In my neighborhood, from October through April, we all wave at each other as we pass in cars. From April until October, if we're out in the backyard at the same time, we chat over the fence for a little while. We have those neighborhood street parties a couple of times a year. Other than that, nobody is knocking on neighbor's doors. Everybody's busy and on different schedules and such. I hope that yours turns out to be more "friendly" as time goes on.

Mostly, what really strikes me are the new pics of Gage and how tall he's getting...WOW!!! I mean, I know he's not a baby anymore, but still!!! SO HANDSOME!!! I just love coming here and seeing his smile. :)

 
At 4:17 AM , Blogger Papa Bradstein said...

Love the wagon. Love the picnic basket. The friends will come with time--besides, you don't want to rush in until you've identified the crazies.

 
At 11:28 AM , Blogger Love said...

i understand what you're saying about the saying hi thing! it doesn't take too much effort and who knows what you are missing? {your new best friend??}

a family moved into our neighborhood recently from another part of the country.

i didn't have time to bake, so i bought her donuts & coffee from the very best, little bakery in our area.
{if you moved here, i'd do it for you, too!} =)

i LOVED your comment, but couldn't e-mail you back. it truly is amazing the little things that are totally not coincidences if we're paying attention.

 
At 10:38 AM , Blogger Fernando Solis Eguiza said...

El Niño Y Tu Pilin

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home