Life Is Just So Daily

Monday, January 04, 2010

Resolutions? What???

So, last year I set a goal for myself to read 12 books for fun.
You know---in addition to work, motherhood, being a wife, school, & the reading necessary for school.

For those of you who devour books like they're candy...well, hats off to you. While I very much enjoy reading, it's sometimes difficult for me to find time to read for enjoyment when I should be spending that time reading for school!

How did I do?

Well, here is what I read this year:

Ya-Yas in Bloom by Rebecca Wells
Twilight by Stephanie Meyer
New Moon by Stephanie Meyer
Rattled by Debra Galant
Try and Make Me by Levy, O'Hanlon, and Goode
Just One of the Guys by Kristen Higgins
When the Emperor was Divine by Julie Otsuka
How to Behave So Your Preschooler Will Too by Dr.Sal Severe
Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas by James Patterson
My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
North River by Pete Hamill
The Help by Kathryn Stockett

That's 12.
TWELVE.
I did it. {so what if 2 of them are parenting books? I read them, dammit!}
The last 4 were my favorites.

I think I'll keep that same resolution for 2010. I've really enjoyed it.

And, I have to mention 3 more books:

Plum Lovin' by Janet Evonovich: Are you kidding me? I've heard great things about this author, but this book was less than impressive. I got about 1/2 way through it, and just could NOT go any further. Stu-pid. And to be perfectly honest---I couldn't care less how that story ends.

In the Fold by Rachel Cusk: started it (as in, read 1-2 chapters, and put it down), haven't picked it back up yet, but intend to. Mediocre so far, but too soon to really write it off...

Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurtston: just got this for Christmas. Read 1-2 chapters so far. The dialect makes this a difficult read {for me, anyway!}. I really have to get into a mind-set & focus on what I'm reading for the language to make sense. I'm enjoying it so far.

What other books should be on my list for 2010???

Labels:

10 Comments:

At 6:31 PM , Blogger LauraC said...

The best two books I read in 2009 were Hunger Games (quick easy read too) and Everything Matters! Those are two books I'd put on everyone's reading lists.

Didn't get to comment earlier but I LOVE the bathroom pics. LOVE!

 
At 7:05 PM , Blogger Heidi said...

Wow, that's weird, the first book that came to mind was the one Laura C mentioned, The Hunger Games.
I also loved The Lovely Bones,The Time Travelers Wife, The Poisonwood Bible.
My friend reccs The Book Thief but I haven't read it yet.
Hope you have some time to enjoy more "for fun" reading.

 
At 7:32 PM , Blogger lisa said...

I’m not sure if you would like these or not, but I REALLY like Vince Flynn’s books. They are political thrillers, and I think I’ve read 6 of the 10. I’m kind of addicted. Even though they are thrillers, they are easy reads. I usually read a few chapters before bed. If you start these, make sure you go in order because it’s the same character.

 
At 7:49 PM , Blogger Lainey-Paney said...

Heidi:
The Lovely Bones.
Truly one of my favorite (if not THE favorite) book.
I am very excited about the movie coming out. Hubby & I saw a preview...
Perhaps not EXACTLY how I envisioned the details in my head, but I'm sure it will be wonderful nonetheless!

 
At 7:56 PM , Blogger Pregnantly Plump said...

I liked The Lovely Bones a lot, too. It stays with you, you know? Anyway, I read "Water for Elephants" last year and it was pretty good. I also read some fiction about WW2, and though I really, really liked one, I don't remember the name for the life of me. I was pregnant at the time, so that will be my excuse.

 
At 7:02 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for posting this! I am looking for book suggestions too - trying to read 50 books in a year...so I need a LOT of suggestions! Thanks!

 
At 7:09 AM , Blogger Zephra said...

I loved One Thousand White Women. I made my Sis read it and she fell in love too. Promise you will read this one. Also, I just finished Eat, Pray, Love. It was pretty good. I have several other books I love but they are mostly about the royal scandal that was Tudor England. Talk about a train wreck.

 
At 12:13 PM , Anonymous misguided mommy said...

k i read
twilight
new moon
eclipse
breaking dawn

twilight
twilight
new moon
new moon
breaking dawn
eclipse
eclipse
twilight

you get the point i have some kind of mild obsession with my boyfriend edward

 
At 7:10 PM , Blogger Judy said...

LOVE My Sister's Keeper. Awesome book.

Your bath inspiration looks great - can't wait to see how that turns out! Sorry about Gage and the door jamb - Tyler fell out of the fort in the back yard yesterday and did NOT catch himself - cheek to landscape timber is NOT attractive...

 
At 8:09 PM , Blogger Shoeaddict said...

I need to go get a pen and write all of these down. See my resolutions on my blog...

Right now I'm reading, The Baby Book by William and Martha Sears. And Envy by Sandra Brown (found it at my MIL's house)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home