Life Is Just So Daily

Tuesday, September 08, 2009

I rode the garage door.

Yes, that's right.
I rode the garage door.

So, Hubby was out of town last week.
Thursday morning---Gage & I were loaded down with our bags & belongings, and decided to cut through the garage to get to the car parked in the driveway.
I get us loaded & buckled into the car, and push the button on my little clicker to shut the garage door.

Nuthin'....

So, I go inside the garage thinking that I will push that button....
Again, Nuthin'....

I was pissed, and of course, it was all Hubby's fault. I mean---afterall, this would not have happened if he'd been in town & home, right? And so, it was instantly his fault.

Now, mind you: my car is running in the driveway. My door is open. I'm about 7 feet away from my child & I can see him....

I jump up & try to shut the garage door by pulling on it. That doesn't work.

So....I'm staring up at this contraption suspended from the ceiling, when I see this red pull cord. It must be the magic cord.

Now---I don't really know what I expected to happen, but clearly, I hadn't thought the whole "red pull cord" situaion through...

So, I'm facing Gage, who is in the car, and I reach up & pull the cord.

Within less than a second, the garage door SLAMS down, and I'm hanging from the red cord which is suspended from the ceiling.
What the hell was I thinking?

And------I couldn't see my kid, who was now SCREAMING.

I let go of the cord, fall to the floor of the garage, & RUN through the house, out the front door to the car. Gage said, "Mommy, I was FREAKED OUT!"

In the end, all was well. I was late for work, but we all got where we were going safely.

When Hubby came home I told him about what happened. He went out & looked at the garage door. Um---when you're little like me, and you can't offer very much counter-weight to the garage door, then it slams down, and...in our case, bent the frame. Lucky us.

I was so suprised that the panels didn't fall down like a house of cards on Thursday morning.

So...anyway....that's my story about riding the garage door.
Beware of the red cord. In the future, I think I'll just call in on days like that...

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

At 3:10 PM , Blogger Framed by Grace said...

Glad you are ok...Next time...think RED is BAD!(ya know, like a stoplight) LOL!!!

 
At 4:12 PM , Blogger Sarah Lynn said...

Super Scary! Glad you're not hurt!

 
At 9:29 PM , Blogger Judy said...

Wow. I've always wondered what would happen if you pulled that red thing. Now I know...

 
At 4:33 AM , Blogger Beth said...

Better that you "rode" the garage door (and flew!) than have it close on top of you. That happened to me as a kid - ouch.
Glad you're okay.

 
At 7:09 AM , Blogger Kate said...

Forgive me for laughing, but I've used the red cord--when the power was out. (Un?)fortunately, I am a Big Girl and I was more than enough counter-weight. ;) I'm glad that you're okay--sounds like you're moving to the point where you're laughing about it.

At my house, if anything goes wrong, it's hubby's fault, too. Glad I'm not the only one...

 
At 7:22 AM , Blogger mpotter said...

well, i think you get points for even trying.

when my garage door doesn't close, i just leave.

glad i just posted THAT tidbit to the internet. here. let me give you my address.......

 
At 7:42 AM , Blogger Pregnantly Plump said...

That is crazy! I'm glad you're ok. Were you hurt when you dropped back to the floor? Hope the rest of your day was very noneventful.

 
At 8:05 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you aren't hurt...but I can't stop picturing you flying up in the air like Olive Oyl in a Popeye cartoon! :)

 
At 6:09 PM , Blogger Marni's Organized Mess said...

Lovely!

 
At 12:13 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Nothing like a little garage door ride to get your heart thumping!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home