Life Is Just So Daily

Wednesday, December 03, 2008

The Neverending Story...

I'm starting to wonder if we'll EVER be well!

Had words with the on call nurse at the pedi office last night.
I'm sorry, but after watching my child cough for 40 out of 60 minutes, watching him gag on his own phlegm, and watching him wretch so hard with bronchospasms to the point that he can't catch his breath, his chest sinks in, and his face turns dark red until he spontaneously vomits & finally takes the deepest breath you've ever seen----yeah, that's not flippin' easy to witness or try to console your child through....

I told her that I want albuterol, or SOMETHING to help with the coughing. I don't really care what the American Pediatric people say about kids & cough syrups for 3 year olds. What I do care about is my little boy getting some freakin' oxygen, getting better, and having a pedi office that actually gives a sh*t.

And guess what else: on call nurse is on call all night, and I have the number. If I don't get some sleep, she won't either. Because even if she doesn't answer the phone, she has to check the voicemails... I'm just sayin'. If I didn't get something to help last night, I was tempted to call every few minutes, "Hey, it's me again. We're still up. Still coughing...Just thought I'd let you know...", "Hey. It's Gage's mom again. He's no better. Just wanted you to know.", "Hey, it's me again. Maybe you should call that doc on call again. I'm just sayin', listen to this: cough*cough*cough*vomit!", "Hey, it's 4am. We're still up....this is pretty horrible, but hey, I'm sure glad to share the journey with ya."

Okay....maybe it's the lack of sleep that is getting to me.
Maybe it's the fact that MY head is full of snot.
Maybe it's the mama bear in my coming out.
I dunno....

On the books for today: head out to the mother in law's to use her oversized washer to wash the puke off all my bedding. The comforter won't fit in my washer....and she loves me, so that's where I'm headed.

Oh, and top it all off: Gage was crying for a band-aid this morning. It looks like he may have a fever blister at the corner of his mouth! Ugh. I could be wrong, and it may just be dry/cracked. I'm not super great at knowing the difference, but it looks like a fever blister to me. We'll see.....

The good news: the doc on call prescribed some orapred for Gage & I picked it up. Um...at first, he looked like he was on crack, all hopping around & climbing the walls. After that, major crash & he asked to go to bed. He slept until the middle of the night, and then came & crawled into bed with us.
Poor buddy. At least the steroid seemed to help calm things enough for him to get some sleep....



Labels:

9 Comments:

At 7:12 AM , Blogger Stephanie said...

That is awful! I am happy they finally gave you something to try to help with the cough. Swae and Seth have albuterol and it really seems to help them out a lot. Sending you all get well wishes.

 
At 8:03 AM , Blogger Laura said...

Get better soon Gage...oh, how terrible! Hang in there.

 
At 9:29 AM , Blogger Framed by Grace said...

Don't you just love on call people who'd rather be sleeping??
I'm so sorry that Gage and you are feeling horrible!! I hope everyone is feeling better soon!

 
At 10:30 AM , Blogger Just Jiff said...

Wow. Makes you want to kick them in the face, huh? They sure do forget that they are there for YOU, not the other way around.

I'm glad Gage got some relief, and hopefully you did too.

We're still very sick in our household so hopefully we'll all be better soon. :(

 
At 11:10 AM , Blogger Zephra said...

Oh y goodness. That poor baby. I say call the nurse all night. It's her job right? I hope he kicks all this crap soon.

 
At 12:04 PM , Blogger A. Nonny Mouse said...

Oh, how I sympathize with you. There is nothing worse than the sound of cough, cough, cough, cough *gag* *SPLAT* coming from your kid's room.

And I totally would have voice-mail spammed the On-Call nurse. That just ain't right.

Hope you guys feel better soon!

 
At 12:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang in there girly! Sweet girl threw up so bad once, she broke blood vessels under her eyes and around her mouth, not fun. I'm sorry about that on call nurse...what a pill! I'll be praying over on this side.

 
At 7:05 PM , Blogger Judy said...

Eeks - its a wonder you managed to not drag him to the on-call nurse's house last night! Hope Gage does better tonight - not fun for ANY of you!

 
At 10:37 AM , Blogger Pregnantly Plump said...

Poor guy! Have you thought about changing pediatricians? I know you've written about problems with them before. I didn't know if there were other options. I'm glad they doctor finally gave you a prescription. Hope Gage feels better soon.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home