Life Is Just So Daily

Monday, August 04, 2008

Where did all of this JUNK come from?


So...we've been in our house now for...oh, 4 years & one month.

Yesterday: I unpacked the last of the boxes.
That's right. We still had moving boxes that we'd just never unpacked.
I finally got tired of looking at them a few years ago, and Hubby put them in the attic.
Well, in preparation for the big multi-family yard/garage sale that will be happening soon---I figured there was no time like the present to pull those boxes down, sort through them, and give*give*give away stuff that I haven't missed in 4 years.

Now, the logical part of my brain says: "If you haven't missed it or used it in 4 years, you don't need it."
My sentimental side says: "Oh, that picture was in our kitchen above our sink in our first loft!", "Hey, my dad gave me that lamp!", and "I know that I haven't worn that in over 3 years, but it was the last thing that my Mema made for me. I stood in her kitchen & held the fabric while she cut out the pattern!"

Yes, I'm a pack-rat.
I keep all sorts of things that have little value to others.
Whatever. It may look like junk to you, but to me it's a priceless collection of treasures.

Anyway....luckily, I did actually SORT through the boxes to decide what stays & what goes. If I hadn't, I'd have totally skipped over an unopened-unused-wedding gift.
Sad, isn't it? It's been almost 5 years since we got married. I found a $50 gift certificate that we never opened the card or saw the gift card or anything. Of course that means that I never sent a Thank You for it...so I'm in trouble there...but the other big whammy: I don't have a freakin' clue who it's from. I could NOT for the life of me read the writing. So, I'm just gonna throw out a big "Thank You!" to cover all gifts ever given to me & not properly acknowledged by a TY card. (Yes, readers, I am aware that I still have not sent out Thank You cards for my birthday gifts either...Let's just say I'm doing my part to be a little GREENER, mmmkay. It's not that I'm lazy or unappreciative...it's just better for the environment, dontcha think?)

What else did I find?
...oh, in case you're wondering: No, it's not a good idea to store a box of candles in your attic where the temperature fluctuates & the candles can melt. Yeah, just in case you were wondering...

So...those were some of the fabulous happenings around my place yesterday.
I've got some pretty cute pics from yesterday to upload. Gage & Daddy built a swing. It's got a wooden seat & it it suspended with bright yellow rope. The whole thing was kind of a spur-of-the-moment decision. He was asking for a tire swing...but, um...surprisingly, we didn't have an extra tire just lying around... Surprising, according to Hubby, given my propensity toward attaching sentimental value to just about every inanimate object that enters my life. You can guarantee that if my path crosses with a used, discarded, can-be-suspended-from-a-tree tire in the next few days, it will be making it's way into my life. And yes, it will indeed have sentimental value. And someday, I will be flipping through a photobook with my grandsons (Max & Zack), and telling them about the day that I found that tire on the side of the road, and how dirty I got loading it into the trunk of my car, and how their Daddy LOVED that swing....

Okay....I'm back. I'm 30 again. I have one son, his name is Gage, and he does not yet have a tire swing...

.......yet.

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

At 10:35 AM , Blogger Zephra said...

We live in a white trash neighborhood, I'll keep my eyes open for a tire. I am sure there is one around here.

 
At 11:38 AM , Blogger Just Jiff said...

LOL. So funny! I don't have a tire either, but the wooden swing is prolly better since the tire would get stains all over Gage's little clothes! :)

 
At 11:38 AM , Blogger Just Jiff said...

LOL. So funny! I don't have a tire either, but the wooden swing is prolly better since the tire would get stains all over Gage's little clothes! :)

 
At 11:43 AM , Blogger Christy said...

My husband is a pack rat too. He has saved all kinds of pointless crap from his childhood, and refuses to throw any of it away. Our basement is a disaster because of his junk.

 
At 11:49 AM , Blogger Pregnantly Plump said...

I used to be quite the pack rat, and think I will be again when it comes to Little Elvis' stuff. Good luck with the sale!

 
At 12:02 PM , Blogger Mighty Morphin' Mama said...

I can so relate to this. As I have been decluttering I found a bin of stuffed animals, some of which were mine as a kid and I can't get rid of them.
I did however let go of my grad dress and the dress I was wearing when my hubby fell for me. I was being brutal that day, but now I am sad about it. I suck.

 
At 3:12 PM , Blogger Aubs said...

Oh how i know the pack rat struggle! My hubby is a total pack rat and it drives me NUTS!!

The swing sounds like so much fun!! Looking forward to seeing the pics!!

 
At 7:22 PM , Blogger angie said...

I too am a pack rat...and I too attach sentimental value to everything *sigh* makes for many boxes when moving huh!

 
At 8:00 PM , Blogger Kate said...

I'm trying so hard to declutter my house. Our house is three stories, so the teeny attic is not really an option. I still find spots to jam things.

 
At 8:45 PM , Blogger Laura said...

oh we have boxes in our store room still waiting to be unpacked 4.5 years now....CRAZY!

 
At 10:13 PM , Blogger Chris H said...

I am in full DE-CLUTTER mode right now... and the other day I went through a box that hadn't been opened in 6 years! Very good to finally do it... hope I don't move in 3 weeks and keep boxed unopened for another 6 years! Good on you for de-cluttering... and even naming your future grandchildren! AMAZING what you can do!

 
At 6:10 AM , Blogger Lainey-Paney said...

*****actually, Gage once told me that when he grows up, he's going to be a Daddy & he will have 2 kids: Max & Zack.
I thought it was pretty cute!

 
At 9:23 PM , Blogger misguidedmommy said...

once when we were going to move into a new house i forwarded my mail to the new house. anyway we decided not to build it because the builders were shady. 4 months later they called me with a box of mail that had somehow been sent to them. there were activated credit cards, tons of birthday cards, tons of gifts and so on. i called a bunch of family and found out how angry they were the whole time i never said thank you and stuff. oops. i couldnt believe the credit cards though, i was a little pissed they were activated you know

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home