Life Is Just So Daily

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

AA Update.

So, for the sake of this blog, AA has nothing to do with alcohol dependency. AA around here is Alopecia Areata.

I blog about it some, but not a whole lot.
It's an auto-immune disease that I have, where my body attacks my own hair follicles, and sometimes makes my hair fall out.
For the most part, I've been very lucky.
I've had some RATHER large patches where I've lost large amounts of hair. When my hair starts to fall out, I get big round bald spots.
The largest one I had was between the size of a baseball & the size of a softball. It was on the back lower left side of my head. I had to wear a low ponytail for over a year to cover the spot until the hair started growing back in.

There are some other things that can happen with AA too...
...you can lose all of the hair on your head.
...you can get AA spots where your hair will fall out on other parts of your body.
...you can lose ALL of the body hair you have everywhere (eyebrows, eyelashes...everywhere.)
...the hair can grow back in, but white. It loses its pigment forever.

So far, I've had spots just on my head....they come & go, meaning that the hair so far has always grown back in.

...but now..... Now I have a spot about the size.....about as big as 1.5 golf balls. It's been there.....for a long time. Months & months. The hair would not grow, would not grow....very frustrating. A few days ago, I reached back there, and I can feel new growth. But, I can hardly see it in the mirror. That's because---it's white. Like, somehow almost clear, but white. Very fine, old-lady-white hair.

Fuck Calgon---I need Clairol to take me away!!!!

So, this officially dictates to me, that I will never be a silver haired old lady. I will color, color, color until I die I think.
I don't want a white stripe down my hair!
....or, maybe I do. It can be my "racing stripe"!!!

Okay....so there's a little bit about me.
If you want to know more about Alopecia Areata, you can go to www.naaf.org

Labels:

21 Comments:

At 7:40 AM , Blogger Zephra said...

These auto-immune diseases suck big time.

 
At 7:46 AM , Blogger Pregnantly Plump said...

I'm sorry about that. I'm glad your hair is growing back though. I don't know where your stripe is, but maybe you could channel Stacey London from What Not to Wear? I think her's looks cool.

 
At 8:12 AM , Blogger shoeaddict said...

I did not know that about you. I thought the very same Stacy London thought as pregnantly plump did!

 
At 10:18 AM , Blogger Barrie said...

Glad to hear your hair is growing back. It sounds like a tough disease to deal with. Especially because you don't know what's round the bend. That said, there are some GREAT color stylists out there. Have you considered highlights. I love them!

Love your blog name, BTW.

 
At 12:17 PM , Blogger Judy said...

Ugh, that would suck, unless it could guarantee I'd lose all the hair on my legs and never grow it back. That wouldn't be so bad then. :-)

 
At 12:24 PM , Blogger Family Adventure said...

I knew a girl who had AA and her hair fell out completely. But it all grew back again, and I think it only ever happened that one time. I actually didn't realize it could come and go.

A white stripe could be kinda cool, depending on where it is and how big it is -- and as a backup there's always Clairol like you said.

Heidi

PS: Thanks for visiting my blog. :)

 
At 4:31 PM , Blogger Elaine said...

Ugh, I didn't even know this existed. Thanks for bringing some awareness.

If anyone can work it, it's you. You are GORGEOUS!!! And it seems like you have a great attitude.

 
At 4:53 PM , Blogger Heidi said...

One of the janitors at the hospital where I work just developed this. He has two round patches on the back of his head. He usually wears a hat, but took it off one day to show all of us his head because he was stressed about it.
I am a firm believer in women coloring their hair when it turns gray or white.

 
At 6:23 PM , Blogger Angel said...

aww...that sucks big time. I say where that racing stripe with pride!!!!

 
At 6:54 PM , Blogger Jamie said...

It's frustrating.

Immune system diseases are a bitch. I don't have any comforting words...it just plain sucks.

I have psoriatic arthritis, where the immune system attacks the skin and joints.

Some days are good, some bad.

My best hope is in the future...there are so many advances in new medications, especially biological treatments. And so much research being done for these diseases...

Hang in there! And I bet most women color their hair. Heh.

 
At 7:18 PM , Blogger Papa Bradstein said...

I love the racing stripe idea! When people stare or ask, you can tell them it's for your starring role in the next live-action Speed Racer movie. No matter what you do, you'll still look great.

I had a buddy--who sold Mama her first mountain bike, in fact--in Colorado who had no body hair from AA, which was where I first heard about it, so I had no idea it was so varied.

 
At 1:11 AM , Blogger kat said...

Life throws you some really nasty things some time. Sorry you have to deal with this. I have an eczema and it bothers me no end.Ugh but you gotta take it in your stride.

 
At 6:52 AM , Blogger Beth said...

About 5 years ago, doctors thought I might have Alopecia Areata. Turned out I'd lost a hunk of hair due to pain-related stress. And it did grow back!
You have a great attitude regarding AA. I admire you.
And, yes, colour that white streak until you're good and ready to go white/gray!

 
At 7:28 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been dyeing for a few years now...And I always said I'd go gray gracefully.

F* that.

Grey or not...it's growing!

 
At 8:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry you have to deal with this but I agree with you 100% I will never be a silver white hair lady...I already highlight my hair and will color when it's needs.

Damn getting old sucks!

 
At 10:10 AM , Blogger Dana said...

Wow...you and your family is so beautiful it is hard to imagine that you are living with something like this. I hope that everything works out with your hair coloring!

 
At 12:47 PM , Blogger A Mom Two Boys said...

Gotta love modern day advancements in hair color! Keep up the good attitude!

 
At 2:02 PM , Blogger Sherry said...

I knew bits about AA but not all of this...I do feel for you with the hair..lost all mine to chemo, bald as a billiard ball. And it came back but I did learn that I don't mind being bald and there was a sense of freedom to it. That plus I got to wear lots of great head gear that I would never normally wear.
That said, auto-immune diseases are difficult to cope with and I really do feel for you with the hair loss.

 
At 2:34 PM , Blogger mpotter said...

that really stinks. i'm sorry.
thanks for sharing this part of your life.

i once knew a lady who had the white stripe in her jet black hair- right on top. and it truly looked cool! i don't know if this was her reason or not. but it really suited her, believe it or not.

i hope yours will color well, or add some silver pizzazz. good luck!

and for what it's worth- i'm envious of my sister and husband, who have dark hair & their grey looks silver. i loved it on my mom, and when i was younger, i wished i could dye my hair black so the grey would look silvery.
(yeah, i'm not too bright, i know)

 
At 3:05 PM , Blogger Shawna said...

Thanks for telling many of us about something new.

 
At 5:51 PM , Blogger Kate said...

I'm really sorry to hear that. I lost hair when I was really stressed and it was so hard for me to cope with and I was lucky enough to get it back after about a year. My stylist works with a lady who just went bald and she finally got a wig and she gets it styled and everything and loves it. I think however women deal with hairloss is admirable.

Oh, and I am all about haircolor. I'm past the point where the stuff in the box works. I kind of liked my Stacy London streak, but not all the other white threads everywhere else.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home