Funny Road Names....from an article:
It’s a strange name for a street and it sounds like a redundancy – Avenue Road.
But if the famous Toronto thoroughfare has a weird moniker, it’s nothing compared to some of the winners of the oddest road name contest.
Mitsubishi Motors asked visitors to a car website in the U.S. to send in the strangest names for streets in the entire country, and more than 2,500 people responded.
All the top entrants were checked for accuracy and then the judges decided on a winner of the hundreds of thousands of miles of pavement that stretch through America.
And the top prize went to one that’s both funny and a little unsettling.
It’s “Psycho Path”, a road in Traverse City, Michigan. The just as bizarre “Divorce Court” came in second. It’s a road that – you should pardon the expression – splits off in Heather Highlands, Pennsylvania.
The equally strange “Farfrompoopen Road” in Tennessee took the bronze.
Also on the list: the intersection of Clinton and Fidelity in Houston.
Toronto boasts a less comical version that came to prominence during the 1996 U.S. election. It’s Clinton and Gore, two roads that meet in the Bathurst and Bloor area.
But that can’t hold a candle to some of the submissions.
"Our readers really stepped up with some insane street names," Thecarconnection.com’s Paul Eisenstein agrees. "Our panel had a difficult time narrowing several hundred down to the 10 our readers voted on.
"But we learned a lot about the … collective sense of humor of city planners everywhere."
Eisenstein admits actually vetting and checking all the information was tough, because some of the roads are private and others just plain obscure.
Here’s the list:
1. Psycho Path in Traverse City, Mich.
2. Divorce Court in Heather Highlands, Pa.
3. Farfrompoopen Road in Tennessee (the only road up to Constipation Ridge)
4. The intersection of Lonesome and Hardup in Albany, Ga.
5. The intersection of Clinton and Fidelity in Houston
6. Bucket of Blood Street in Holbrook, Ariz.
7. Unexpected Road in Buena, N.J.
8. Shades of Death Road in Warren County, N.J.
9. The intersection of Count and Basie in Richmond, Va.
10. Tater Peeler Road in Lebanon, Tenn.