Life Is Just So Daily

Friday, October 08, 2010

Homecoming Mums....Only in Texas?

Well, it’s that time again, when dweebs and geeks join the skaters and Heathers to watch a football game – it’s Homecoming. The Homecoming Mum is an integral part of Texas Homecoming traditions. And so you non-Texans may be asking, "What's a Homecoming Mum?"

My own explanation was lacking, so I found this article:

Homecoming Mums: The Tradition

Chrysanthemums have long been the quintessential Fall flower, so it's not surprising that they quickly became associated with the quintessential Fall sport - football. In the earliest pictures of college football games, you can pick out the mum corsages worn by the young women in the stands.

Since everything grows big in Texas, it's also not surprising that the Lone Star State is credited with developing the more elaborate corsages known as homecoming mums. In the 1960's, these wonderful concoctions could be had there for $10. Ahh, the good 'ol days.

Over the years, mums were cultivated to grow bigger and bigger and the corsages grew and grew.

Today, the silk flower has replaced the live chrysanthemum as the centerpiece for homecoming mums. With silk flowers, the only size limit to homecoming mum corsages is the size of the wearer!

Now a homecoming mum can be saved as a keepsake or recycled into next year's new unique corsage."

By: Eileen Bergen, editor of The Artful Crafter, a website devoted to crafts and the craft business. For more on mums, how to make them and where to find supplies, either wholesale or retail, please visit the Homecoming Mum Guide.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Eileen_Bergen

___________________________________________________

Oh, if only I could find pictures of my high school Homecoming Mums...
I'm sure that I said "Thank you" at the time, but now, of course, I'm feeling a bit nostalgic about my reeeeeallly awesome mums... So, here it is: Debbie Englebretson, Thank you soooooo much for my super-cute, creative & unique mums!
Okay, I probably could go upstairs & find the pics, but then I'd have to clean up my mess, and get the scanner out, and plug it in....and you see where I'm going with this.
Let's just say that I had very crafty & cute mums in high school, and I love the memories that I now have from my Homecoming experiences.
:)

So, for those of you requiring a visual....I've googled some pics for you:
Some random girls with their mums:


{Why yes, Mums can be expensive. Why yes, they are completely non-functional, and perhaps a colossal waste of money. But yes, we all felt that we simply had to have them at the time, and we had to have the biggest, best, and most ornate. Don't hate.}

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

At 6:08 AM , Blogger Zephra said...

Ironically, I have my Mum making box out and everything spread over the living room. I have gotten so good at making them that I am actually starting to take orders. Next year Kamran will be a senior and he will have the most obnoxious garter you have ever seen. He gave me permission yesterday! I am thinking lights and maybe music.

 
At 6:32 AM , Blogger The Staley Daily said...

What an awesome tradition, I love it!

 
At 1:27 PM , Blogger Shoeaddict said...

I went to a Homecoming parade yesterday because I know a girl on the court. They wear mums but not that big or elaborate. Also, just the court wears them.

 
At 3:50 PM , Blogger Kate said...

They were really big in Duncanville where I lived when I was younger. Not so much at my school, but it's an urban magnet school. They do them up big in the suburbs.

My favorite part was all of the bells. They were so deliciously annoying. Sure they're silly, but so much fun and we could have been doing worse things, right? :)

 
At 6:13 PM , Blogger Dapoppins said...

Zephra sent me over here when I asked, what is the MUM thing and I must say. I am now suitably speechless.

 
At 10:04 PM , Blogger Judy said...

Oh, those were the days! Mums! Mine weren't EVER that big, though...I think I was shafted! Dang...I should email those old boyfriends and let them know they owe me something I can wear around my neck like those girls! HAHA

 
At 6:31 PM , Blogger Brent and Rachel Fisher said...

Oh. . . homecoming mum. I had the sweater size homecoming mum my senior year. It was so elaborate and heavy that I had two elastic bands that crossed over my back. RIDICULOUS! But, I felt really cool at the time :)

 
At 12:35 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:21 PM , Blogger The Style Sisters said...

HI there I noticed you have my mum picture from my blog on your blog...could you link it to my blog please. wwwthestylesisters.blogspot.com
Thanks,
Karin

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home