Life Is Just So Daily

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Eczema...it's baaaack.

Gage's eczema is back.

Did I post about this before?
Gage gets eczema outbreaks.

He had one spot on his arm before. So gross that I'm about to post this...but here we go. Doctor said at that time that it was either ringworm or eczema. If it responded to the medicine we put on it, then it was eczema. If it didn't---then it was ringworm.

It responded. It's eczema. And, now it's back.

Where is it now?
There was a patch on his face.
The backs of both legs.
Both elbows.

He's 16 months old, and this is only outbreak #2. Maybe he'll grow out of it.

Been reading up on it...
We're going to be making some changes at the Casa de Lainey-Paney.
Things that we can do to hopefully alleviate the symptoms or future outbreaks...
These are things that we will now be doing in addition to the frequent applications of Hydrocortisone cream....
~Wash his clothes separate from ours in fragrance-free, gentler detergent
~Bathe him only every other day, as daily bathing strips essential moisturizing oils from his skin
~Hydrate with water (less juice, more water) to keep skin moist (working from the inside out...)
~Fragrance free, milder soap for bathing him [I'm on a mission: looking for some super-gentle, fragrance-free, tear-free soap for my baby....Where to look? Where to look?]
~Loose clothing, preferably cotton
~No fabric softeners, no dryer sheets on his bedding or clothes
~No rubbing him dry after a bath...only pat his skin, let air dry briefly, then apply lotion (not just any lotion now...and not Baby Lotion in those eczema-prone spots)
...now, I'm going to have a very hard time not lathering my child in baby lotion b/c it just smells so sweet. And that scent of J&J Baby Lotion...that's just how my child is supposed to smell!
So...I'll still probably put the regular baby lotion on his back, and feet, and tummy....

Okay. That's it for now.

3 Comments:

At 12:38 PM , Blogger CBM said...

Arbonne makes a baby bath gel (Johnsons Head-to-Toe equivalent) that we liked. Arbonne is one of those direct-sales companies. You can look it up on the web. They do all natural ingredients, things that are beneficial instead of all the crap chemicals that are in everything else. It's obviously a bit more expensive, but if you use it sparingly (and if you're bathing only three or four times a week that will help), it goes for a pretty long time. As with any all-natural cleanser, it smells vaguely of coconut oil or other botanicals, rather than that sweet Johnsons baby smell; that was hard for me too! But you get used to it. (And no, it doesn't stink. Just doesn't smell "baby.") They make all sorts of wonderful natural products, including lotions for baby, I think. Might be worth a try.

(Btw, I have no idea why Blogger sometimes randomly posts my comments with my maiden name. It's me...CBM.) :)

 
At 12:54 PM , Blogger A. Nonny Mouse said...

Emily is also prone to eczema outbreaks. Her doctor recommended Cetaphil lotion and soap. The Cetaphil soap is fragrance free and gentle (though I found it doesn't lather very much - I'm sure it's a part of the gentle stuff) and the lotion is also fragrance free.

Good luck with the changes!

 
At 2:29 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Cetaphil is good. Aquaphor is very moisturizing- we use it on Jack's face when he gets rashy or dry patches. I also think Dove is a good, mild soap to use. I used it as a child when my skin was horribly dry and cracking.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home