Life Is Just So Daily

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

October 16th: The Un-90th Birthday.

Well, my Gammy told me that she was turning 90 this year, and wanted a party. So, I said, "Okay. Let's have a party at my house." She was excited, and the invites went out. Sometime between that conversation & the actual party, Gammy remembered that she wasn't turning 90. She's only 89.
Fun little tid-bit: She didn't want to hurt my feelings, so she didn't tell me. I heard it through the grapevine at the actual party.
Good-times.

It's perfectly okay though. Either way---it was her birthday, and either way, she deserves a party! So, we dubbed it the "First Annual 90th Birthday Bash." We fully intend to have another one next year.
:)

The BEST part? The 90 candles on the cake.
{Back Story: Dad calls. "Is there anything I can do to help, or anything that I can bring?" I said, "Yes, you can bring the cake. Get a plain cake. I don't want a bunch of rainbow colored flowers on there or anything. No writing. Just something classic, like a white coconut cake, or a German chocolate cake." So, Dad showed up with one of each. Only---they were small. We were by no means having a huge gathering, but the cakes were double stacked 6" rounds. Dad was unaware of my plan to actually USE 90 candles.}
Hubby said it couldn't be done. My response? "Watch me."
So, my sister & I managed to fit 90 candles on that itty-bitty-cake. It took 3 of us to light them all....and then the top of that cake went up in one flame. It was AWE-SOME! (Please excuse the short, brightly colored birthday candles. I had a plan of using the longer plain white candles, but I didn't have 90 of them on hand {who does??} and I had a reeeeally full week, and not a moment to spare to pick some up. Unfortunately, when I was grocery shopping at 10 o'clock at night, Tom Thumb was no help in the perfect candle department...I'm just sayin')






So then, it took Gammy quite a few blows (and some help) to get the candles all blown out....





What happened after that?
All the smoke detectors went off.
Again I say, AWE-SOME! {Man, I hope I live to be 90! Or maybe I'll just start crashing parties at the Assisted Living because I'm so amused...}

Okay, I really have quite a few more pics from the party, but they'll have to wait for now. More blogging later!
:)

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At 6:41 PM , Blogger Zephra said...

I just knew the smoke detectors were going to go off but I am glad you got all those candles on there.

 
At 7:13 PM , Blogger Sarah Lynn said...

Wow! That is something! Love it! :-D

 
At 7:35 PM , Blogger Kate said...

Okay, this post is the best! What love you have for your Gammy. :)

 
At 9:24 AM , Blogger Just Jiff said...

heheh! I love the smoke detectors going off!
Happy birthday to your Gammy!

 
At 1:09 PM , Blogger lisa said...

We had a hard time getting 70 on my Mom’s cake a few years back . . . and we had a big cake! I’m impressed! That’s so cute that she forgot.

 
At 7:43 PM , Blogger Pregnantly Plump said...

We're celebrating my grandmother's 80th this weekend and I didn't even think about getting candles. That would be fun! Great idea.

 
At 9:24 PM , Blogger Judy said...

We did this for my grandmother's 90th birthday 5 years ago, except I CARRIED the cake in to her AFTER it was lit - singed my eyebrows and almost set myself on fire with that flame. And, we won't talk about the trail of wax I left allllllllll over my brother's dining room table! Oops!

 
At 7:48 PM , Blogger Marni's Organized Mess said...

I LOVE it! That is wonderful! I thought, holy smokes! The smokes detectors HAD to go off. Once for my aunt's like, 27th, we did that and it caused a big black spot on the ceiling. Crazy! hhahah. :) Happy 90th Grandma!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home